By Nicole Bowen of The Darling Niki
For music fans everywhere the announcement that last year’s hit festival Desert Trip (the one that brought together Paul McCartney, Roger Waters, and The Rolling Stones) would not be returning in 2017 was a blow. With a demand in the Coachella Valley for another festival to fill the void the creators of the annual Rhythm Wine and Brews festival created Desert Oasis. The two day festival will take place at the Empire Polo Fields, in the same location as Coachella, Stagecoach, and last year’s Desert Trip, October 7 & 8.
Desert Oasis is the music festival of reggae lovers everywhere with a lineup that includes Fortunate Youth, E-40, Reel Big Fish, Kinky, and Damien Marley. Gates will open at 1pm both days giving you a full day of music, food, and plenty of drinks from the Craft Beer House plus multiple bars throughout the polo grounds.
If you have never attended a music festival I have a few tips to make the most of your day:
1. Stay hydrated! Even though it’s October the day time highs can still hit the upper 90s.
2. Arrive early! With lines for parking, security checks, ticket checks,and bag checks it can take over 30 minutes just to get inside.
3. Plan to eat! One of the best parts of festivals right now is the food scene including lobster rolls, crab fries, grilled cheese, pizza, and tacos that will make your mouth water.
4. Bring a backup phone charger! Yes, there are plenty of charging stations at events such as Desert Oasis but no one wants to find themselves with a dead phone during their favorite set.
5. Don’t forget a jacket! While the daytime highs are still plenty warm, the desert can cool off quickly in the mid-Fall evenings. A sweatshirt, light sweater, or denim jacket is the perfect option to stay warm well into the evening. (Bonus: it makes a great place to sit down to eat all those lobster rolls!)
6. Have Fun! At the end of the day you are there to listen to music and enjoy the experience!
If you plan to attend Desert Oasis there are a few ticket options including single day ticket for $99 or a two day pass for $175. Check out www.desertoasismusicfestival.com for more information.
Desert Oasis image at top of blog post from Palm Springs Life Magazine